Back Into The Fray

Wanted to give you all an update before we head back into the fray. 

We have been staying in a hotel room in Oxford, MS since this past Saturday with all of our critters including 16 four-week-old chickens that were supposed to go to new homes this past weekend. 

Blessedly, yesterday half of those chicks went to a young man here who raises chickens on his farm and happened to have some the same age as ours. 

That still leaves a lot of pets and people in one (very tiny!) hotel room.  As such we need to move onto the next phase of this operation and that is to go home and assess the situation and decide what the next step is going to be. 

At this time the best route for us is to travel down the east side of Mississippi and enter the city via I-10 at Slidell. 

That's the plan, anyhow. Of course, "the best-laid plans..." and all that jazz... So, we shall see. 

Some of you have asked how you can help. Without having boots on the ground there right now I can't say for sure. What I can tell you is that there are supply staging areas that are accepting supplies so that is a good place to start if you are looking for a place to send donations. If I have time I will look some of them up and post them. 

I can also tell you what I have collected or am trying to collect and take back as I am returning to the city and I imagine that it is are similar to the things that others may need as well. 

Water

Ice

Charcoal

Generator

Gas Can

Sports Drinks

Canned Food

Packaged Food - Granola bars, etc. 

Paper Towels

Toilet Paper

Cleaning Supplies 

Camp Stove & Fuel

Duct Tape

Tarps

Trash bags

Gas Powered Tools

Plastic Bags

Paper Cups

Plastic Utensils

Paper Plates 

Paper Bowls

Power Banks

Batteries

Lamp Oil

Head Lamps

Those are the things that I can think of right now. I'm sure there are other odds and ends that will come up and I will try to share them if I can. Keep in mind that, while some people lost it all, for many people this isn't an "I lost everything I own," situation as much as an, "I'm stuck in the dark with no way to keep myself cool, cook my food, preserve my food, power my electronics to keep in touch with the outside world." Think a hot, annoying, extended camping trip with no end in sight that may require working outdoors in the heat while clearing debris. 

Anyhow, that's all for now. I'm not sure what the situation will be as we work our way back home, but I will try to keep you updated. 

Good vibes and prayers are appreciated!

Comments

Popular Posts