Just A Quick Check-In

 Just a quick check-in. 

Yep, still hot.

Still no power.

Found a grill so we will hopefully be able to do some cooking today.

I’ve never craved eggs, bacon, and hot coffee so hard in my life. 

Coconut is still with us but his breathing is rough. We still take him in the car with us to cool off, but I doubt he’s going to make it through. 

My phone connection is getting better but keeping it charged is a struggle that involves either sitting in the car and wasting gas or finding a charging station.

My children have decided that they do not like MREs or the strange concoction given out by the Salvation Army that somehow is supposed to be red beans and rice. However, any hot food at the moment is appreciated. 

On a positive note the kids and I have been playing the guitar a lot and even writing our own songs. I always joked with my students that when I grew up I wanted to be a busker. I’ve been getting a lot of practice sitting on my front porch playing for the entertainment of the National Guard guys in the parking lot across the street. I’m now a pro at CCR’s “Have You Ever Seen The Rain?” It seems appropriate. 

I’ve learned many lessons from this experience that I will share in the coming days. While I was not wholly unprepared for this I do know better what to do next time. And there will be a next time, I have no doubt. 

I love this city. I knew this would happen eventually, but I’d hoped to have had a bit more time to prepare. Nevertheless, we persist. Because this is home.

Comments

Popular Posts